Re: Licences, Ts&Cs, Permissions and Obligations

Hi Phil

this may or may not be relevant - but in Australia there is some
uncertainty about the use of postcodes, and what obligations would apply if
this was used in a web context - either as a service parameter or in a
response payload

http://auspost.com.au/business-solutions/postcode-data.html

says "You will need a licence to use the Australian postcode list for
commercial or business purposes."

what if you had a dataset that had a postcode for every address - you could
reverse engineer the list of postcodes from any comprehensive address set.

The issue is is not so much the licence regime, whatever you may think of
it, as the fact that the casual user or web developer would certainly not
expect such a situation arising from a publically owned service in the 21st
century - so i guess this is the sort of use case where the machinery needs
to be able to bring it to attention based on metadata.

Cheers
Rob Atkinson