Re: Choosing the right format & vocabulary for spatial data

Hi Jeremy,

Because of the problem I am having with fragment identifiers I am not sure
which Best Practice you mean exactly. Do you mean the "How to describe
geometry" best practice? BP 7 is titled "Reuse existing (authoritative)
identifiers when available" in the version that I am looking at.

Anyway, here are some thoughts:

   1. A decision tree forces an order in questions to be answered, and can
   block certain avenues of useful thought. I don't know it that is helpful in
   this case. I certainly makes it more difficult for the BP editors to
   determine the order of questions in the tree. How about presenting the
   questions leading to a decision on how to publish spatial data as an
   unordered list, to which readers can assign their own weights?
   2. I would try to avoid having data publishers make assumptions on how
   data will be used (e.g.  their target community). This keeps the silo based
   thinking intact. I would like to see recommendations that are good no
   matter how and by whom the data will be consumed.
   3. The question "do you need a CRS other than WGS84?" seems to encourage
   the use of WGS84. I think the current proliferation of WGS84 on the web is
   not a good practice. The use of WGS84 should sooner be discouraged than
   encouraged.
   4. The fact is that for some issues good solutions don't really exist
   yet. Making that clear, and pointing at initiatives that could help in the
   future (like a proposed new version of GeoSPARQL) could be a useful
   thing to do in the BP.

Regards,
Frans