Re: Content negotiation of spatial linked data

On 20/07/2016 17:54, Joshua Lieberman wrote:
> I’ve added a comment to the wiki about geometry serialization negotiation:
>
> https://www.w3.org/2015/spatial/wiki/Further_development_of_GeoSPARQL#Negotiate_geometry_serializations
>
> It seems the best idea may be to define a content type parameter for the
> available / desired serialization, but that would presumably need to be
> added to a linked spatial data API best practice.

Thanks, Josh. I wonder whether this is another case where profile-based
content negotiation can play a role.

On the other hand, there might be an alternative solution to deal with
this issue, e.g., by using URIs for geometries. In such a case, you
fetch the RDF, and then apply content negotiation on the geometry URI to
get WKT, GML, KML, GeoJSON, etc. So, basically, you get to the geometry
in two steps.

This relates to the WG discussion on "geometries as first-class
citizens", and count some implementations - as those I outlined in an
earlier email [1]. It may be worth assessing them wrt to the general
issue of serving spatial (linked) data in multiple formats.

Cheers,

Andrea

----
[1]https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-sdw-wg/2016May/0099.html