RE: Feedback on the W3C/OGC WG proposal for a time ontology

Thanks Yolanda –

The likely vote on Wednesday is merely to release the First Public Working Draft, so nothing is finalised.
Public comment is invited, so you can still organize EarthCube feedback.

Meanwhile, a few detailed comments:

1.      I’m generally aware of the EarthCube use-cases, and know some of the people involved (*). Indeed, the key change relative to the 2006 OWL-Time draft (to allow a temporal reference system to be indicated) is exactly to support the application to deep time.

2.      The issue of ‘uncertainty’ – quantified as +/- values, or unquantified such as intervals with unknown boundaries – has not yet been addressed. Specific comments on this topic are welcome. I anticipate this can be accommodated without breaking the proposed model, or the legacy.

3.      However, if your comment about the beginning and end of eras means that they must be defined using intervals (and not just uncertain points or instants) then that would be a significant modification of the model.

To elaborate on the last issue - while Allen’s model certainly allows for the fact that every instant is actually an interval when looked at closely enough, this is essentially a matter of precision. It does not mean that the notion of a temporal topology – with temporal edges of finite length joined at temporal nodes of zero length – is not the underlying idea.

I don’t think that is what the geologic timescale people would be suggesting either – it is probably just that the boundaries of eras are uncertain, not that they have a finite duration in principle. However, even if the latter is the case, then that can still be accommodated by the topological model, it is just that some intervals would be labelled ‘boundary’ and others would be labelled ‘era’. Since the set of interval relations is provably complete, all the necessary relationships between boundaries of finite length and eras can still be expressed. So I doubt if there is a real problem, it is just that the geologic timescale application needs to use the model appropriately.

Simon

(*) I’m in contact with Doug Fils regularly, and Bob Arko from time to time. Steve Richard was my co-author on two key papers that provide part of the basis for the proposed changes relative to the 2006 OWL-Time draft.