Re: Question about identifiers

On 19 August 2016 at 12:10, Ed Parsons <eparsons@google.com> wrote:

> So perhaps best practice is to update the resource at the old URI to point
> to the new one ?

That is a possibility, but it would be messy. For individual resources
redirection would have to be set up. That means high maintenance costs and
a high risk of mistakes. And still there would be the risk of
misinterpretation. A human consumer could interpret the first URI
encountered without following it to an alternative URI, still leading to
false data.

But what would be the point anyway? If a  path in the URI like
/{municipality}/{quarter}/{neighbourhood} is for human consumption only it
is not that valuable, I think, assuming that most people don't read URIs.

The only reason I can think of to want to have a hierchical path in a URI
is if web crawlers are known to parse the URI strings themselves (next to
the URI payload). That could in theory lead to improved discoverabilty of
resources. I wonder if that actually happens... Perhaps Ed knows how the
Google crawlers behave in that respect? Or would that be sharing trade
secrets?

Regards,
Frans