Re: [Minutes-BP] 2016-04-20

Thank you Linda and Andrea for providing access to the ontology, and thank
you Simon for putting it in perspective.

I have tried to look up two things that I think are essential corner stones
of a spatial ontology: the definition of a point (in 1/2/3-dimensional
space) and the (associated) definition of a coordinate reference system. I
did not find something useful, but perhaps I did not look wel enough.

My gut feeling is that to arrive at a sensible general spatial ontology an
automated transformation of ISO191** models can not provide the desired
result. There are several reasons for that. One is that the ISO191** models
are models for geographic data, not for spatial data in general. Another
one is the baggage from earlier models that Simon mentioned. A third one is
that there is less freedom to define logical modules or layers and to be as
simple as possbile.

A spatial ontology based on ISO191** models could be very useful, but I
think such an ontology would be a lot more useful if it was hand-crafted,
starting from the basic premises.

About the work program resulting from the Linking Spatial Data workshop
that Simon mentions: could it be that the SDWWG Best Practices deliverable
is that very work program?

Regards,
Frans