Re: [linking-data] What should I link to? (or link between)

Hi Jon,

On 2015-09-30 17:02, Jon Blower wrote:
> Hi Peter,
>
> I’m showing my ignorance of the details of WCS here, but is the following URL
> resolvable by itself?
>
>> http://www.acme.com/wcs?SERVICE=WCS&VERSION=2.0&COVERAGEID=DtmGermany25
>
> If so, then this could be a valid LD coverage identifier. But I thought
> (forgive me if I’m wrong) that you would need extra parameters to create a
> full DescribeCoverage or GetCoverage request that would be a valid request to
> the server.

the only thing I forgot indeed is the GetCoverage command, so the below should read:

http://www.acme.com/wcs?SERVICE=WCS&VERSION=2.0&REQUEST=GetCoverage&COVERAGEID=DtmGermany25
This downloads  coverage named DtmGermany25 in the same format and CRS as stored
on the server.

>> PS2: I am also not arguing against RDF _descriptions_; storing a complete
>> request is but one option. However, in order for a URI to be resolvable it
>> invariably will need some final, down-to-earth access protocol, be it a file
>> path, ftp, or a Web service. That was the point I meant to make. Sorry if I
>> was unclear on this.
>
> No that’s OK - I think we’re agreeing on this point.
>
> But it’s worth noting that you don’t *always* need the underlying data. For
> example, imagine that you want to make an assertion that “this dataset has low
> quality in the South Atlantic”. In this case you want to describe the subset
> you are talking about. The URI then resolves to this description (probably an
> RDF document), not necessarily the data itself. You don’t really need access
> to the data to get value out of that assertion, although it can help of course!

no objection here! The use case, as I understood it, was to access a subset of
the data; for metadata, I'm absolutely on board with what you say.

>> Not sure many people will want to get an image as RDF triples - this is where
>> Semantic World is opening itself to acknowledge foreign citizenships :)
>
> I think you might have misunderstood me. Being a good “web citizen” doesn’t
> mean that everything has to be in RDF (I used RDF as an example only), but it
> does (in my view) involve using HTTP in a fairly standard way. My example was
> content negotiation - WxS uses a custom mechanism, but should (arguably) use
> the standard HTTP mechanism. It’s still fine to return NetCDF, GeoTIFF etc!
> (I’m sure these issues have been debated in the OGC-REST conversations.)

ah, I see - so all in all we seem to be quite aligned.

[BTW, content negotiation indeed is something I am highly impressed of, and we
had thought we build it into the RESTful interface to WCS, but then RESTafarians
told us "no, it should be "f=GeoTIFF" ". Currently we are stuck with a (pretty
much ready) WCS REST, hope to get insights from Testbed-11.]

So we seem to converge on most items here after clarification :)

-Peter

--
Dr. Peter Baumann
   mail: p.baumann@jacobs-university.de