From: Jon Blower [mailto:j.d.blower@reading.ac.uk]
Sent: Tuesday, 29 September 2015 6:02 PM
To: Peter Baumann <p.baumann@jacobs-university.de>
Cc: Cox, Simon (L&W, Clayton) <Simon.Cox@csiro.au>; Jeremy Tandy <jeremy.tandy@gmail.com>; public-sdw-wg@w3.org
Subject: Re: [linking-data] What should I link to? (or link between)

Hi Peter,

Yes, of course, WCS can *access* subsets of a coverage (so can other protocols like OPeNDAP) but I think we need a protocol-independent way to *identify* the subsets.

I’m picturing an RDF fragment that encodes things like the band/variable, spatiotemporal (or index) coordinates, and anything else. Given that URIs are supposed to be opaque (i.e. we’re not supposed to encode semantics in the URL), I think we have to define URIs that point to subset definitions.

Clearly any mechanism needs to be compatible with the data models of WCS (and CIS), but I don’t think we should just adopt the WCS GetCoverage URL as the identifier for subsets.

Cheers,
Jon