Re: ACTION-98: Look at a list/matrix of the common formats (geojson, gml, rdf, json-ld) and what you can or can't achieve with it

I agree Spatialite is a interesting case, a database that is also a file..
esri's file geodatabase would be similar..

This is great work Clemens alhough I share your thoughts around JSON-LD  we
are premature calling a spatial format at the moment.

Ed

On Wed, 25 Nov 2015 14:06 Frans Knibbe <frans.knibbe@geodan.nl> wrote:

> portele@interactive-instruments.de>:
>
>> Hi Frans,
>>
>> in general I have only added formats that I have some familiarity with.
>>
>> In the SpatialLite case, isn’t it more an implementation than a format?
>> The linked wikipedia page states: "SpatiaLite supports several open
>> standards from the OGC and has been listed as a reference implementation
>> for the proposed GeoPackage standard."
>>

> It can be considered a vector geometry format, like it says on the
> wikipedia page: *'Being a single binary file, SpatiaLite is also being
> used as a GIS vector format to exchange geospatial data'*. It is possible
> to see a SpatiaLite file as a smart Shapefile.
>
> On the other hand, one could say that OGC Simple Features is the actual
> format used by SpatiaLite. It depends on what we understand 'format' to
> mean exactly.
>
> Greetings,
> Frans
>

>> GeoPackage is in the list.
>>
>> Best regards,
>> Clemens
>>

>> On 25 Nov 2015, at 14:25, Frans Knibbe <frans.knibbe@geodan.nl> wrote:
>>
>> Hello Clemens,
>>
>> Have you considered adding SpatiaLite
>> <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SpatiaLite> to the collection of formats?
>>
>> Greetings,
>> Frans

>> :
>>
>>> Hi, Clemens.
>>>
>>> Just to say that an option would be to create a page in the SDW wiki.
>>>
>>> Andrea

>>> https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-sdw-wg/2015Nov/0052.html
>>> the table structure seems to be lost after the email is processed by the
>>> list software, so I will make the table available somewhere and send a link.

>>> adequate) this would need
>>> it understandable for the different target audiences,

>>> whether
>>> aspects (e.g. time support, closely coupled APIs / service interfaces, etc),

>>> software :)
>>> >>

>>> --
>>> Andrea Perego, Ph.D.
>>> Scientific / Technical Project Officer
>>> European Commission DG JRC
>>> Institute for Environment & Sustainability
>>> Unit H06 - Digital Earth & Reference Data
>>> Via E. Fermi, 2749 - TP 262
>>> 21027 Ispra VA, Italy
>>>
>>> https://ec.europa.eu/jrc/
>>>
>>> ----
>>> The views expressed are purely those of the writer and may
>>> not in any circumstances be regarded as stating an official
>>> position of the European Commission.
>>>

>> --

*Ed Parsons*
Geospatial Technologist, Google