From:  Phil Archer <phila@w3.org>
Date:  Thursday, March 12, 2015 at 5:48 AM
To:  SDW WG Public List <public-sdw-wg@w3.org>
Subject:  What is an implementation of an ontology?

Simon asked me what the WG has to do to get an ontology through the W3C
process, specifically, what counts as an implementation.

Essentially the Candidate Recommendation stage is there to provide
evidence that what has been specified actually works, as proved by (at
least two) two independent implementations (I heard here in Barcelona
that the equivalent rule at OGC is three implementations?)

There are three recent vocabularies that provide examples of the kind of
thing we're looking for. Like all Recs, these three vocabs all link to
their implementation reports:

DCAT      http://www.w3.org/TR/vocab-dcat
ORG       http://www.w3.org/vocab-org
Data Cube http://www.w3.org/TR/vocab-data-cube

http://www.w3.org/2011/gld/wiki/DCAT_Implementations
http://www.w3.org/2011/gld/wiki/ORG_Implementations
http://www.w3.org/2011/gld/wiki/Data_Cube_Implementations

For ORG and Data Cube, Dave Reynolds created a validator tool, see
http://www.w3.org/2011/gld/wiki/Validator, which was used in the
implementation reports.

The reports gather evidence that the vocabularies are being used,
ideally in real world scenarios, which elements are being used in each
case etc so that you can check that each of the terms has been used at
least twice.

It's a high bar, but that's what we're aiming for wrt OWL Time, SSN and
Coverage in LD.

HTH

Phil.

--