From: Frans Knibbe
Date: Wednesday, April 29, 2015 at 8:49 AM
To: "Svensson, Lars", "public-sdw-wg@w3.org<mailto:public-sdw-wg@w3.org>"
Subject: Re: Requirements from UC-19

Lars, thank you for your input. Some comments:

About the proposed requirement "It must be possible to state that the spatial coverage is inexact ("north of", "close to", "coordinates are approximate")": We have the Spatial Metadata<http://w3c.github.io/sdw/UseCases/SDWUseCasesAndRequirements.html#SpatialMetadata> requirement. One of the spatial characteristics is spatial resolution. For geometric data (expressed in coordinates), spatial resolution could have a straightforward expression, which would be a measure of exactness. Would that cover the "coordinates are approximate" bit? I think "North of" is actually rather exact, it indicates a well defined area. "Close to" is yet another matter...without any other context the expression seems meaningless. Would it be possible to give an example that can show that it would be beneficial to have some kind of standardisation for "close to"?

As for time, I do not yet see a requirement like the Spatial Metadata<http://w3c.github.io/sdw/UseCases/SDWUseCasesAndRequirements.html#SpatialMetadata> requirement for temporal data, but I think there could be. I can think of temporal extent, temporal resolution and temporal reference systems. Well, the temporal reference system is a separate requirement in the spreadsheet (column H).

Greetings,
Frans

Dear Ed and Frans,

For my Use Case 19 (Publishing Cultural Heritage Data), I identified the following existing and new requirements:

- Best Practice
-- existing

1) There should be a common encoding/serialisation for spatial data as RDF
2) It should be possible to validate data

- Coverage
-- existing

1) Temporal context
2) geospatial alignment (not sure about this one, what it means is the alignment of a named entity to its geospatial feature)

-- new

1) It must be possible to state that the spatial coverage is inexact ("north of", "close to", "coordinates are approximate")

- Time
-- existing

1) temporal granularity flexibility
2) temporal vagueness [fuzzy dates/periods]
3) temporal reasoning and relations (xsd formats)
4) nominal temporal references [e. g. " Vormärz", "La Tène period"]

Can you please insert those into the spreadsheet?

Thanks,

Lars

*** Lesen. Hören. Wissen. Deutsche Nationalbibliothek ***
--
Dr. Lars G. Svensson
Deutsche Nationalbibliothek

--