Re: Our methodology

Hello Kerry,

Please see my comments inline...

>  +1 from me for use cases and also requirements (except for comment
> below). I would like to see this text or something very like it  go into
> the BP deliverable.

Did you mean the UCR deliverable?

>  Frans said:
>
>    - It is possible to come up with requirements that are not derived
>    from use cases, but from things like common sense or good design
>    principles. We will not make this kind of requirement explicit, but that
>    does not mean we will not apply such requirements with the appropriate
>    weight, if necessary.
>
> These latter are commonly called “non-functional” requirements (or is that
> old hat?) .

To the best of my knowledge it is not old hat. Here
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Non-functional_requirement> is the wikipedia
explanation of the expression. The distinction between functional
requirements and not-functional requirements is generally useful, I think.

>  I would very much like to address these too, but am unsure that they
> belong in the Use Case document – I guess I had in mind that such things
> are less formal and should be  agreed and then documented more as
> statements of intent on the wiki.

I was hoping we could keep the UCR document more focused by leaving them
out. Still we could acknowledge the existence and importance of those
requirements in the UCR document. I think the fact that the group consists
of very smart and experienced people should ensure that non-functional
requirements will be taken into account without having to list them
explicitely.

There is also the matter that most non-functional requirements would not
pass the scope test, because those requirements usually are not
specifically about spatiotemporal data on the web.

> See, for example,  what I started here:
> https://www.w3.org/2015/spatial/wiki/Ontology_Design_Principles

That is a good example. I can imagine more similar wiki entries will be
made once the work on the other deliverables is underway and non-functional
requirements will actually come into play.

Regards,
Frans