Re: Comment on the SOSA ontology

Dear Catherine,

Thank you for your comments.

In a nutshell, according to the original SSN, a feature of interest would
be "plot X", and a property would not be generic but would be specific to
"plot X", like: "temperature of soil at 3 meter depth in plot X".

see also section 5.3.1.3.4 in
https://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/ssn/XGR-ssn-20110628/#Observed_Properties_2

*Observed Properties:* ObservedProperty is defined as a subclass of
DUL:Quality. Types of properties, such as temperature or pressure should be
added as subclasses of ObservedProperty instead of individuals. A new
relation called SSO:isPropertyOf is defined as a subrelation of
DUL:isQualityOf to relate a property to a feature of interest.

Hence generic Feature of Interest and Properties are modeled as classes:
"the class of plot", or "the class of temperatures of soil at 3 meter
depth". A repository in the agriculture domain would define *classes* of
feature of interest and *classes* of properties that may apply to them, and
you would instantiate these classes in datasets.

On the other hand, in existing SSN datasets, instances of oldssn:Property
are often generic and can apply to more than one feature of interest.
Although it contradicts the original specification, this way of modeling
the domain seems to have become the post-facto standard.

This has been extensively discussed in the group lately, see also:
-
https://www.w3.org/2015/spatial/wiki/Link_between_FeatureOfInterest_and_xxxProperty#What_is_an_instances_of_ssn:Property_.3F
- https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-sdw-wg/2017May/0129.html
- https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-sdw-wg/2017Apr/0336.html
- https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-sdw-wg/2017May/0098.html
<https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-sdw-wg/2017Apr/0336.html>

We will hopefully be able to decide on this late issue during our meeting
tomorrow. Anyways, soon after the decision is made we will enhance the
examples to better illustrate how features of interest, properties, and
samples, can play together.

Kind regards,
Maxime Lefrançois