Re: Subsetting data

>From my reading of this conversation - as someone on the fringes who has
played with a fair bit of the implementation practicalities -  but is
primarily interested in identifying and promulgating best practices to a
wider audience - there is a lot of discussion about the actual meanings of
terms - so you may not want to develop a formal ontology - but you will
need to define these terms before anyone will make sense of the discussion.

in particular - I still feel there is not a fully developed consensus and
consistent terminology usage around the distinction between
1) a conceptual query that embodies specific semantics - such as "the
latest reported temperature of the air using methdology X at location Y "
 - obviously such things need identifiers so we can repeat them and attach
useful metadata to them
2) The results of such a query (in this case a subset of the air
temperature reading record set, starting from T1 and updated every  T
minutes )

I think there is a consensus that the actual query mechanism should be
decoupled by URI dereferencing - and not part of the URI.

not sure I can see a consensus regarding the endpoint of the query - if
this is part of the dereferencing - so the dereferencing results in a
composite entity - which is the enpoint, the actual query used at that
endpoint and the result returned - then those things are all properties of
the "subset" perhaps?  Of course we need to separate the query and the
result - because the result may be huge - and we may invoke the query at a
different time to when we retrieved it.  At this point I could model a
system - but I would be struggling to know exactly what terms the WG is
using for the different parts of the puzzle - and would want to cite those
terms....

hmm... during implementation being able to cite the elements of this
information model via a URI would be important.

So if the WG isnt able to define such an ontology, but one is needed to
implement a system that implements the reasonably complex semantics
involved, who would develop such an ontology? How do you stop N ad-hoc
ontologies emerging from N implementations of these best practices?

For the record, I have played with integrating VoiD, RDF Datacube, Linked
Data API and IETF URL templating and been able to handle the dereferencing
aspects and having all the metata accessible - but one thing missing is a
lightweight ontology to be able to define whether an endpoint returns a
subset of a resource, and what type of subset. VoiD supports type-based
partitioning as well as overlapping subsets - but this isnt quite powerful
enough to handle the sort of use cases here. You could perhaps interpret
the existence of a RDF-QB dimension description attached to an endpoint as
an implicit statement the endpoint provides subsetting on dimensions - but
would that scale to handle cases where subsets are well known and QB is
overkill and too high and entry bar?

Cheers
Rob Atkinson