Re: Quick question after the Spatial Data on the Web Conference in Amsterdam

hello ed.

On 2016-02-17 10:21 , Ed Parsons wrote:
> An interesting point, that was I think part of an ongoing more
> philosophical point we have discussed for the last few months.  The City
> Pasquale mentions as a thing of interest we would assign an identifier
> to which could be used to link to other objects containing information
> about it, a record containing population, the name of the mayor,
> temperature forecast for today etc.

absolutely. if you care about the features that have representations
(and as mentioned by pasquale, often different ones, depending on
presentation context), then you should assign identifiers to the
resources represented by those features, and make sure that they remain
stable.

that's a Good Web Pattern, and in fact a Good Data Management Pattern in
general. i have started talking about this as "web data", because it is
part of the basic principles of web architecture:

http://dret.github.io/webdata/

i have consciously stopped using the term "linked data" because it is
usually associated with the mandate to use RDF-based models. this is
something that some people might want to do, but others not, and web
architecture in no way requires one specific metamodel to be used.

and because there was no good term to refer to "how to do proper web
architecture without the requirement to use RDF", i started using "web
data".

cheers,

dret.

--