Re: Exposing datasets with DCAT (partitioning, subsets..)

Hi Frans,

In my opinion, it all depends on how the actual data is made available.
If it's a nice (possibly standard) API, then just link that as a
distribution and you're done I would say. Clients can explore subsets
etc. through that API (which in itself should be self-describing and
doesn't need any further metadata at the Distribution level, except
media type if possible).

However, if you really *just* have a bunch of files, as is quite common
and which may be ok depending on data volume and intended users, then it
gets more complicated if you want to allow efficient machine access
without first being forced to download everything.

So, yes, partitioning is intrinsic to the dataset, and that detail is
exposed to DCAT to allow more efficient access, both for humans and
machines. It is an optimization in the end, but in my opinion a quite
useful one.

I wonder how many different partition strategies are really used in the
wild.

Cheers
Maik