Objects that can stringify in multiple ways

From: Anne van Kesteren <annevk@annevk.nl>
Date: Wed, 15 Mar 2017 11:25:07 +0100
To: public-script-coord <public-script-coord@w3.org>
URLs represent a class of objects that can be stringified in multiple
ways, each of which is useful. The JavaScript standard library deals
with this situation by making toString() take an argument, as seen
with the Number class.

Is that the precedent to follow or is having some other way of
accessing such string values reasonable too?

(I feel like I've asked this question before somewhere, but I can't find it.)

--
https://annevankesteren.nl/