Re: [webidl] Serialization of natural language (TAG issue 178) [I18N-ACTION-623]

On Mon, Jun 12, 2017, at 23:35, Phillips, Addison wrote:
> This email is a bit of a “shot in the dark”. I was going to file a
> Github issue, but wasn’t sure if the heycam/webidl repo was the right
> place for it. Please redirect me, if appropriate.>

> This email is regarding a recent conversation the Internationalization
> (I18N) WG had with TAG [1]. In that thread, we were referred to WebIDL
> and I drew the action [3] to reach out to start our dialog with you.>

> In a nutshell, the I18N WG has noticed a large number of specs that
> convey natural language text in String type fields. Use of Unicode
> means that the date can be stored, transmitted, and processed on a
> basic level. However, there are use cases in which language and
> direction metadata are needed. We attempted to document some of these
> cases in the document at [2] and would like to ensure that a standard
> approach or set of recommendations can be adopted for working with
> natural language data that requires this information.>

> How can we best engage your WG on this issue?

> [1]  https://github.com/w3ctag/design-reviews/issues/178

> [2]  http://w3c.github.io/i18n-discuss/notes/i18n-action-612.html

> [3]  https://www.w3.org/International/track/actions/623

Thanks for reaching out.

heycam/webidl is indeed the correct place for this conversation.

We have an open issue on this topic[4] which Domenic summarized on the
aforementioned TAG thread[5].
We'd welcome your help to reach a conclusion  and bake this in WebIDL.

Would love to hear your thoughts (preferably in the issue tracker)
as to which solution outlined by Domenic  should be favored (and
why), or, alternatively, if there's a better option which should be
chosen instead.
Best,

--tobie

---