Re: Deprecating old IDL

On 19/09/2015 17:55, Marcos Caceres wrote:
> Hi All, tl;dr: The ReSpec team would like to start deprecating the
> use of "old school WebIDL" in ReSpec in favor of "contiguous WebIDL".
> We will soon begin showing a warning in ReSpec's pill-menu about
> this.

Although I support the overall direction of moving away from old-school
to contiguous WebIDL, transitioning from one to the other is a lot of
manual work, and is thus unlikely to happen in a very short amount of
time (vs what was possible e.g. for the data-lt change).

This means that a fair number of respec documents will be showing
warnings for a fair amount of time, reducing the overall value of the
warnings.

More egoistically, it will also mean that I'll have to remove the
detection of respec warnings in my groups Travis CI set up since they
will be broken for a while (and I'll thus miss useful warnings from respec).

Can I suggest that instead of showing the warning "soon", there be
instead a more active campaign of outreach to respec users (e.g. via the
chairs list as well?), and have the warning start appear at a fixed but
much later deadline (e.g. 6 months or more)?

Dom