URL and host comparison methods

From: Anne van Kesteren <annevk@annevk.nl>
Date: Mon, 17 Aug 2015 16:55:36 +0200
To: public-script-coord <public-script-coord@w3.org>
For the URL API we're considering introducing comparison methods. That
take two strings and some options, and then return whether they're
equal or not given those options.

URLs frequently want to be compared while ignoring the fragment identifier.

Hosts sometimes need to be compared without the trailing dot. Suggested API:

  URL.is(url1, url2, { excludeHash: true })
  URL.hostIs(host1, host2, { excludeTrailingDot: true })

(Typing it out I notice it is somewhat unfortunate about I and l not
being distinguishable much, but getElementById() already has that
problem.)

--
https://annevankesteren.nl/