Re: Cancellation architectural observations

On Mon, Mar 2, 2015 at 10:25 AM, Dean Tribble <tribble@e-dean.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Mar 2, 2015 at 6:32 AM, Gray Zhang <otakustay@icloud.com> wrote:
>
>> +1 to the ignore term, I’ve opened an issue about it in
>> https://github.com/promises-aplus/cancellation-spec/issues/14
>>
> I have little attachment to any term, but there's value in keeping
> terminology that has years of investment and use in other contexts. However
> "ignore" also has the wrong sense, because it implies that the computation
> completes anyway. That can be accomplished more easily by simply dropping
> the promise.

Agree. But I feel even more strongly that "cancel" is the right term and
"ignore" the wrong one. In the real world, when I order something to be
delivered, if I then decide to "ignore" it, that describes how I react to
receiving the package. It is a private decision about how I will react and
does *not* communicate any information to the sender about that decision.
If I attempt to cancel the order, I may or may not receive the package
because of the asynchronous race that Dean describes. But even if I receive
the package, it does not violate my encapsulation expectations for the
sender to find out that I attempted to cancel.

IMO the term cancel(or abort) and ignore are totally different things, the

--
  Cheers,
  --MarkM