Re: Determining what prototype should be used for an object

On Mon, Nov 17, 2014 at 5:03 PM, Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@mit.edu> wrote:
> I expect this is generally quite feasible for all the things that are
> [NewObject], with the notable exception of createElement and other
> Node-creating methods.

Okay so:

1) We probably want [LegacyNewObject] and [NewObject] to distinguish
those two cases.

2) We want IDL to introduce the concept of internal slots. I haven't
really come up with a scenario yet where basing this on existing
attribute definitions is not sufficient. This will require refactoring
prose in specifications.

3) We want IDL to have attribute defaulting, to define what their
associated internal slots have as initial value (pure convenience).

4) We want IDL to define creation of objects and allocation of slots
in more detail. In particular around Realms.

Anything else? Shall I file dedicated bugs?

> For non-[NewObject] things, as discussed up-thread, the ES behavior is not
> all that desirable.

So what is an example that would still be different between IDL and
JS? Seems unfortunate.

--
https://annevankesteren.nl/