Re: Spec for [Global] does not seem to be quite web-compatible, and none of the UAs are really compatible with each other

On 1/9/14 12:54 PM, Erik Arvidsson wrote:

 > I'm in favor of the IE/Safari behavior.

Sounds good.  I'll work on updating the spec accordingly.

> However, I don't want us to introduce a new extended attribute for this.

We already have [TreatNonCallableAsNull], which is only used by event
handlers so far.  I plan to just change its behavior and rename to
[TreatNonObjectAsNull], not introduce any new weirdness we don't already
have.

> If people use prefixed code incorrectly in a global scope I'm
> willing to break them in the name of saner web platform.

I'll believe it when I see Blink actually removing some of the prefixed
properties in question.  We tried that in Gecko, and ended up with
widespread breakage, such that we could not ship the change.  I'm not
willing to experiment with that again, given the amount of time that was
wasted previously and my low estimate of the chance of ever being able
to ship such a change.

Further, this is a problem for common polyfill techniques too, not just
prefixes...