Re: an idea for replacing arguments.length

Boris Zbarsky wrote:
>> Oh, ok -- new-ish legacy. This makes the case for stronger normative
>> specs against such overloading, starting with WebIDL.
>
> Again, WebIDL disallowing this would not have helped; the real issue
> was a semantic problem.

What "semantic problem" required two createTouchList functions having
the same name? Isn't that a design choice? If so, then I am arguing it
was the wrong choice, but "looked ok" by precedent including WebIDL support.

> I'm all for simplifying the overloading that WebIDL supports, but it
> wouldn't have affected this case.

Whatever I'm trying to affect, the idea is norms, not outright bans or
removals of code required for backward compatibility. If createTouchList
is relatively new, then I bet there will be a "next time". What spec of
doc should promulgate a norm that says "use a different name" for the
second createTouchList?

/be