Re: How to specify an object that can be mutable or immutable

On Wed, Sep 25, 2013 at 8:17 AM, Anne van Kesteren <annevk@annevk.nl> wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 25, 2013 at 10:58 AM, Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com> wrote:
>> They needed *some* common prefix to avoid clashing with userland code,
>> and DOM seemed to be a decent one that covered roughly what all they'd
>> be used for.
>
> They do? We've been trying to stay clear of using DOM for anything new
> and on top of that we haven't used prefixes new things generally, such
> as Path or ImageData.

Note that Path is garnering compat issues *immediately* upon being
introduced in betas.  It's just too simple of a name, and too likely
to be squatted by user code or libraries.  The same is almost
certainly going to be true of Point, Rect, Quad, and Matrix.

ImageData doesn't have quite that issue.

> The new JavaScript global-exposed objects
> System, Symbol, etc. also will be introduced as such.

If they *can* do so.  Those names are also simple enough that they
risk compat issues.

> If they are more general than viewport rectangles (which suggests
> ClientRect) and you cannot use Rect, RenderRect or LayoutRect or
> whatever subsystem is responsible for them seems more suitable. "DOM"
> is largely legacy and a hack.

"Client" is an opaque word that doesn't mean anything to normal people
(I don't know what it actually refers to, for example).  We discussed
Layout or Render, but decided against it, as these classes are usable
for more than that.  There's no single subsystem that's going to use
these.  "DOM" was short, easy to type, familiar, and also nobody
cares.  ^_^

~TJ