Re: Feature-detectable API extensions?

From: Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@MIT.EDU>
Date: Tue, 27 Aug 2013 16:52:49 -0400
To: public-script-coord@w3.org
On 8/27/13 4:46 PM, Brendan Eich wrote:
> Joshua Bell wrote:
>> Now the problem: the new call would fail silently on older
>> implementations;

This is the problem with silently allowing+ignoring extra args, yes.
Extensibility gets hard.  :(

>> How should the API be designed to allow feature detection, without
>> "designing for the past" ?

Checking myCursor.continue.length would work if it took into account
optional arguments....  What exactly is the status of that, by the way?

> New method wins cleanly in my view,

I agree, for this case, but I'd like us to think hard about the .length
situation...