Re: [WebIDL] Allowing specifications to opt in to throwing on sets of enumerated attributes to invalid values

From: Cameron McCormack <cam@mcc.id.au>
Date: Fri, 02 Aug 2013 13:07:51 +1000
To: Anne van Kesteren <annevk@annevk.nl>
CC: Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@mit.edu>, Marcos Caceres <w3c@marcosc.com>, "public-script-coord@w3.org" <public-script-coord@w3.org>
Anne van Kesteren wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 15, 2012 at 8:37 AM, Boris Zbarsky<bzbarsky@mit.edu>  wrote:
>> Frankly, I think the prior API art here is broken, and I think the WebAudio
>> spec editors think that too.  Now obviously for existing APIs that's water
>> under the bridge...
>
> I see. It was a deliberate choice to make these not throw. E.g. if you
> add new values later on, they would start throwing in older browsers
> which would not necessarily be an improvement for the end user. Adding
> this conditional also gives choice, which will fragment the platform a
> little more as people will just pick differently depending on their
> preference. Having said that, it seems that is happening already.

I think we need to decide whether there is a single preferred way of
handling enums (throwing or not throwing), or whether there are
legitimate uses for both.  If the answer is that there are, then we can
add syntax to allow the spec author to choose.

What's the current state of Web Audio?  Do they still need throwing
behaviour?  Was that issue brought up in the TAG's review of the spec?