Re: IDL: special DOMString that converts to Unicode

From: Cameron McCormack <cam@mcc.id.au>
Date: Mon, 29 Jul 2013 09:58:23 +1000
To: Jonas Sicking <jonas@sicking.cc>
CC: Anne van Kesteren <annevk@annevk.nl>, Brendan Eich <brendan@mozilla.org>, Allen Wirfs-Brock <allen@wirfs-brock.com>, Simon Pieters <simonp@opera.com>, Robin Berjon <robin@w3.org>, "public-script-coord@w3.org" <public-script-coord@w3.org>
Jonas Sicking wrote:
> [EnsureUTF16] is a modifier within the value space, no? It makes the
> function throw if specific values are provided, but it doesn't mean
> that new values can be expressed. Just like [EnforceRange] does.

I think Anne is saying that he wants the underlying type to represent
characters not code units (so that prose he writes can avoid explicitly
converting the code units to characters), and that if we made
"[EnsureUTF16] DOMString" mean that, it would violate his expectations
that extended attributes just control the coercion and don't describe a
new type.