Re: IDL: special DOMString that converts to Unicode

From: Cameron McCormack <cam@mcc.id.au>
Date: Tue, 23 Jul 2013 18:41:28 +1000
To: Anne van Kesteren <annevk@annevk.nl>
CC: Brendan Eich <brendan@mozilla.org>, Allen Wirfs-Brock <allen@wirfs-brock.com>, Jonas Sicking <jonas@sicking.cc>, Simon Pieters <simonp@opera.com>, Robin Berjon <robin@w3.org>, public-script-coord@w3.org
Anne van Kesteren wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 30, 2012 at 6:35 PM, Brendan Eich<brendan@mozilla.org>  wrote:
>> No, you want to add a type. Expect discussion (call the whaambulance over
>> "stop energy"). WebIDL is a shared good and people have to care about *not*
>> adding to it, or it'll grow like crazy. (This happens with JS too, and HTML
>> -- but you know all about that!)
>
> :-) Okay, I'm happy with an attribute. I did just notice this also
> affects every string we want to display in the UI, e.g. those in the
> Notifications API.

I've added the [EnsureUTF16] extended attribute now.

http://dev.w3.org/2006/webapi/WebIDL/#EnsureUTF16
http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/2006/webapi/WebIDL/Overview.xml.diff?r1=1.646;r2=1.647;f=h