Re: IDL: number types

From: Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@MIT.EDU>
Date: Fri, 22 Mar 2013 00:20:41 -0400
To: Allen Wirfs-Brock <allen@wirfs-brock.com>
CC: Marcos Caceres <w3c@marcosc.com>, Yehuda Katz <wycats@gmail.com>, Anne van Kesteren <annevk@annevk.nl>, public-script-coord@w3.org
On 3/21/13 10:35 PM, Allen Wirfs-Brock wrote:
> As you know, I think there are deeper architectural issues behind these
> WebIDL concerns, so I'll just point to
> http://www.wirfs-brock.com/allen/posts/379 where I tried awhile ago I
> tried to cast some light on them.

Yeah, indeed.  It would be interesting to try to figure out which parts
of the web platform are "kernel" and which are "userland"...

> Regarding, overloading.  I took a look at the jQuery routines you cited
> and I'll argue that they prove my point.  They do select or refine their
> behavior based upon analysis of some argument "types" and values
> (including looking at specific string elements) but largely in ways that
> I think would be hard or impossible to express via webIDL overloads.

Hmm.  I have to admit I didn't look at the exact overloading they did
all that carefully, just that they do it.  If WebIDL is lacking here, we
should fix it.

> Also note that their argument analysis is spread over the bodies of the
> functions

True, but that comes back to the discussion about what happens if the
passed-in objects start suddenly throwing exceptions in your face...

-Boris