A design for Futures/Promises in DOM

From: Alex Russell <slightlyoff@google.com>
Date: Thu, 7 Mar 2013 16:50:54 +0000
To: "public-script-coord@w3.org" <public-script-coord@w3.org>
Cc: Yehuda Katz <wycats@gmail.com>, Domenic Denicola <domenic@domenicdenicola.com>, Mark Miller <erights@google.com>, Jake Archibald <jakearchibald@google.com>, Jonas Sicking <sicking@mozilla.com>, "mounir@lamouri.fr" <mounir@lamouri.fr>, David Bruant <bruant.d@gmail.com>, Erik Arvidsson <arv@google.com>, Anne van Kesteren <annevk@annevk.nl>, Ryan Sleevi <sleevi@google.com>
Hi all,

With the find folks on the CC list, I've been working for the past several
months on a design for Futures (need "Promises") that are mutually
acceptable to the interested TC39 members as well as key DOM API designers.

This work is the fallout from the thread started here last year:

https://mail.mozilla.org/pipermail/es-discuss/2012-November/thread.html#26188

A public IDL design and p(r)ollyfill are now available:

   https://github.com/slightlyoff/DOMFuture/

Many issues regarding the design are currently under discussion:

   https://github.com/slightlyoff/DOMFuture/issues?page=1&state=open

The largest concerns about the core API semantics appear to be settled:

   https://github.com/slightlyoff/DOMFuture/issues?page=1&state=closed

Next steps:

Barring major objections, I would like to propose that we move this design
forward in both DOM and in ES. If there is support, I will make an ES
straw-man to capture the invariants of the design while continuing to work
with DOM authors and designers to move this design into the web platform in
preparation for the longer-term project of importing it (or a subset of it)
into ES proper.

Thoughts?

Thanks