Re: Standardizing console APIs: Where?

From: Robin Berjon <robin@w3.org>
Date: Thu, 28 Feb 2013 16:46:02 +0100
To: "Michael[tm] Smith" <mike@w3.org>
CC: Fran├žois REMY <francois.remy.dev@outlook.com>, Garrett Smith <dhtmlkitchen@gmail.com>, Brian Kardell <bkardell@gmail.com>, Thaddee Tyl <thaddee.tyl@gmail.com>, "public-script-coord@w3.org" <public-script-coord@w3.org>, es-discuss <es-discuss@mozilla.org>
On 28/02/2013 15:34 , Michael[tm] Smith wrote:
> I think there's a case where a spec could (and probably should) define
> normative requirements for processing of the data that's sent to the
> console, without necessarily defining exactly how it must be displayed.
>
> The case that I think might benefit from having some processing behavior
> specified follows from the fact that the first argument of some console
> methods either might be a printf-like format string or it might be some
> other object (maybe a normal string or maybe something else).

Oh definitely, the behaviour of finding how many sprintf tokens there
are and replacing them with the n first objects (which then are consumed
and not sent to the console) is definitely important. I was just
objecting to the idea that the API would be text-only.