Re: Standardizing console APIs: Where?

On 26/02/2013 23:06 , Brian Kardell wrote:
> 1. Does anyone else feel like we _should_ have a standard

I think that this thread has shown that there are interoperability
issues. Given that this is a debugging tool, you really want it to have
predictable behaviour so as not to waste time looking for a problem that
in fact comes from the console API.

> 2. Given that this goes beyond the browser, where should that standard
> live?  I feel like its proper home is ECMA since the API, again, has not
> really anything to do with browser necessarily.

I think that it makes more sense in ECMA, but if for whatever reason
that doesn't work out you're welcome to bring it to W3C.

> 3. If ECMA, is it part of the language (ES7?) or is it separate like
> i18n?  I was actually suggesting that my opinion is the later, this
> feels like an ECMA module that could use standardization and is commonly
> imported in browsers and many engines for back-compat as 'console'
> (though I suggesting 'logging' is a better API term).  I also suggested
> (in the strawman) that it could start _very_ small with the abstract
> APIs that are at least universally non-breaking (even if they might do
> something slightly different) and have been fermented for years and
> years - thus it should mostly be an easy approval to find a home and
> basis on which to gather proposals and consensus

I don't have a specific opinion on how ECMA organises work, but I
strongly agree with the idea of starting very small and iterating, even
if it means that you release several version in a relatively short
period of time.