Re: Standardizing console APIs: Where?

On Monday, 25 February 2013 at 10:50, Thaddee Tyl wrote:

> On Fri, Feb 22, 2013 at 5:31 PM, Rick Waldron <waldron.rick@gmail.com (mailto:waldron.rick@gmail.com)> wrote:
> > On Fri, Feb 22, 2013 at 11:13 AM, Brian Kardell <bkardell@gmail.com (mailto:bkardell@gmail.com)> wrote:
> > >
> > > Recently I read a post about Chrome adding a console.table API which
> > > mentioned some things in other browsers. My immediate reaction was "is this
> > > a new proposal for addition to console standard API, because that could be
> > > pretty handy actually" but then after a moments pause and about an hour
> > > search, I realized: There is no codified standard for console API. Turns
> > > out that public-browser-tools-testing@w3.org (mailto:public-browser-tools-testing@w3.org) has sort of agreed to take it
> > > up, but it doesn't seem like anything much has happened yet and I'm
> > > wondering why that should be bound to anything with the browser since
> > > console is a pretty universal thing in implementations. Not saying it
> > > should or shouldn't be ECMA, just that it seems to be in the wrong place now
> > > if, indeed, anything is happening there.
> >

> > A very smart addition to the future standard library modules—which are
> > dependent on a Module spec of course. Write a strawman?
>

> I beg to differ.
>
> The standard for console APIs is at
> <https://getfirebug.com/wiki/index.php/Command_Line_API>, along with
> other devtools-related standards.

there is also the CommonJS one:
http://wiki.commonjs.org/wiki/Console
> It is very functional (changes happen regularly by cross-browser
> consensus, and suggestions are welcome from anyone).

Sure, but that's the same for most Web tech.
> Sure, not all devtools support it all, and they may have bugs, but
> they each strive to fix their implementation.
> Duplicating standards will only duplicate efforts.
>
> You may notice that console.table is defined there now (and has been
> for some time).

I guess the question is, what is the benefit to the developer community in formally standardising this API at either the W3C or ECMA (as opposed to the de facto standard processes above)? Is there something we can do better that the other communities are not already doing?

Kind regards,
Marcos