Re: Solving the "how do I tell whether I have an HTML element?" (or image element, or whatever) problem

From: Cameron McCormack <cam@mcc.id.au>
Date: Thu, 24 Jan 2013 19:16:21 +1100
To: Travis Leithead <travis.leithead@microsoft.com>
CC: Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@MIT.EDU>, "public-script-coord@w3.org" <public-script-coord@w3.org>, es-discuss <es-discuss@mozilla.org>
On 18/01/13 9:09 AM, Travis Leithead wrote:
> I think this sounds fine. Most web developers don't expect the
> current spec'd behavior, even though to me it seems more natural.
>
> IE has the current behavior and I expect we would migrate to the new
> behavior at some point once it was defined and agreed upon.

At one point a long time ago, Web IDL did require [[HasInstance]] to be
overridden to return true even for objects from different windows.  If
proxies now support trapping that, I'll just add it back.

(And hey, it was still there just commented out!  I must have known it'd
return.)

http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/2006/webapi/WebIDL/Overview.xml.diff?r1=1.612;r2=1.613;f=h

I guess this will change to the @hasInstance that Allen mentions, once
ES6 stabilises and I actually understand what "@hasInstance" means. :)