Re: WebIDL generated TypeErrors and promises

From: Marcos Caceres <w3c@marcosc.com>
Date: Fri, 28 Jun 2013 16:31:45 +0100
To: Domenic Denicola <domenic@domenicdenicola.com>
Cc: public-script-coord <public-script-coord@w3.org>

On Friday, June 28, 2013 at 4:10 PM, Domenic Denicola wrote:

> From: Marcos Caceres [mailto:w3c@marcosc.com]
>
> > Ok, but this potentially breaks WebIDL… maybe kinda… I think most specs assume that WebIDL does its thing, then algorithmic prose runs.
>
> I mean, presumably WebIDL can be made to incorporate this automatically. Add a step at the end with "If return type is Promise, and an exception has been thrown, instead return a rejected promise with that exception." WebIDL is meant to serve us, not constrain us, right? ;)

Absolutely :) I guess if Promises are part of ES, then one can safely assume they are part of the platform.... Still, I'm not sure exactly what the best solution is here as I can see the argument for both approaches: one keeps consistency with how type checking is done on the platform VS special-casing Promises wrt error handling to avoid confusion…. hmmm.

--
Marcos Caceres