Re: URL/URI APIs

From: Garrett Smith <dhtmlkitchen@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 19 May 2013 20:39:31 -0700
To: Charles McCathie Nevile <chaals@yandex-team.ru>
Cc: public-script-coord <public-script-coord@w3.org>, Lyle Troxell <lyle@4d.com>
On 5/19/13, Charles McCathie Nevile <chaals@yandex-team.ru> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> instead of asking this group to review my proposed API, I think there are
> a fair few designs for URI APIs around already. I am co-editing a URL
> specification for the Webapps group, and we assume that it should include
> an API for working with URLs (or URIs).
>
> The very rough editor's draft is at
> https://dvcs.w3.org/hg/webapps/raw-file/default/url/url.html and the goal
> is to describe the URI schemes needed for the Web. This is in large part a
>
> case of referring to existing work. The syntax is generally described in
> IETF specifications, although as far as I can tell there is a great
> "generic URI syntax" spec in RFC 3986 that effectivelyt covers HTTP, but
> nothing specifically clarifying HTTP, and how it differs from for example
> FTP (primarily in the first / first two characters of the "scheme"
> component) or tel: (more or less everything except the colon).
>
> I note that Anne van Kesteren's draft of a URL spec includes a draft of an
>
> API, that I believe is based on existing work, and that this is a common
> problem people have set out to solve.

AVK writing an API?

> So I would be grateful for guidance on which models make sense and which
> have problems (and what they are) before we even propose an API and
> request review...

I brought it up on ES-discuss many years ago and then did what I was
told there and brought it up on WhatWG. I mentioned the importance of
providing mutable parameterMap, which is something that conceptually
represents checkbox and select-multiple. Here's the thread:

http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-webapps/2010JulSep/0921.html
--
Garrett
Twitter: @xkit