Re: Future feedback

From: Sean Hogan <shogun70@westnet.com.au>
Date: Thu, 16 May 2013 14:32:25 +1000
To: Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@MIT.EDU>
CC: David Bruant <bruant.d@gmail.com>, Jonas Sicking <jonas@sicking.cc>, "public-script-coord@w3.org" <public-script-coord@w3.org>
On 16/05/13 11:29 AM, Boris Zbarsky wrote:
> On 5/15/13 9:08 PM, Sean Hogan wrote:
>> a. If the browser can schedule my tasks (micro-tasks, whatever) in a
>> timely manner - and without unnecessary page reflows
>
> Define "unnecessary"?  Reflows can happen between any pair of DOM
> tasks, typically, but they are in fact necessary: otherwise the user
> will never see the page update.
>
> Reflows won't happen between script and the corresponding microtask
> checkpoint, unless the script flushes.
>
> -Boris

Say I have three tasks (micro-tasks, whatever) which are scheduled by
the following:

Future.accept()
.then(function() {
     task1();
     task2();
})
.then(function() {
     task3();
});

All three tasks perform DOM manipulation, but don't lookup any
dimensions or compute any styles.

Assuming a **best-case scenario** (including that the Futures spec is
implemented):

1. Is there a page-reflow between task1 and task2?
2. Is there a page-reflow between task2 and task3?
3. What is the timing interval between task2 and task3? Milliseconds is
fine.

I know the answer depends on many things. I'm only interested in the
**best-case scenario**.

Sean