Re: Future feedback

On 5/12/13 11:37 PM, Jonas Sicking wrote:
> On Sun, May 12, 2013 at 7:31 PM, Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@mit.edu> wrote:
>>> Moreover the page can be reflowed between tasks.
>> _ANY_ async solution will have this property.  What does it even mean to be
>> async if you don't allow reflows in the meantime?
>
> Work that is performed at end-of-microtask is sort of between fully
> asynchronous and normal synchronous.

Wait.  Are we talking about adding more things to the end-of-microtask
checkpoint list, or about adding a way to directly post unthrottled
tasks to the event loop?

I'm actually a lot more ok with adding end-of-microtask stuff, not least
because that will, I believe, trigger slow script dialogs and other user
countermeasures if it takes too long.

> But it also means that you are missing out of some of the advantages
> of asynchronous code, such as you still have to worry about hogging
> the event loop for too long and thus not processing pending UI events
> from the user.

Yep.

-Boris