RE: A Challenge Problem for Promise Designers

From: Domenic Denicola <domenic@domenicdenicola.com>
Date: Fri, 26 Apr 2013 20:45:28 +0000
To: Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com>, David Bruant <bruant.d@gmail.com>
CC: "Mark S. Miller" <erights@google.com>, "public-script-coord@w3.org" <public-script-coord@w3.org>, Mark Miller <erights@gmail.com>, Dean Tribble <tribble@e-dean.com>, es-discuss <es-discuss@mozilla.org>
From: Tab Atkins Jr. [jackalmage@gmail.com]

> Shorter me: this is why I keep asking people who want flattening to actually provide an example of where flattening is useful, that isn't (a) assimilation, (b) a result of weird language semantics from some non-JS language, or (c) an authoring error.

Since (multi-level) flattening only occurs for assimilation (per Promises/A+ 1.1), it appears we have been talking past each other. All examples of multi-level flattening will necessarily be examples of assimilation.