Re: Futures

On Mon, Apr 22, 2013 at 8:16 AM, Domenic Denicola <
domenic@domenicdenicola.com> wrote:

> From: David Bruant [bruant.d@gmail.com]
>
> > Especially given that it's only for a transitioning period where native
> (or polyfilled) have to cohabit with previous library promises?
>
> This is a really bad misconception that you have repeated several times
> now.

Hi Domenic, I just repeated it too:

> If [standard platform-provided ES promises] ever wins
> definitively, so that there are no remaining libraries of
> concern, it will no longer need the assimilation mechanisms
> that enabled that co-existence; but by then it will be too
> late to shed it.

I agree that Promises/A+ are too minimal, that DOMFutures does not solve
the problems that need solving, and that the Q API you link to is an
excellent start. But I'm actually more hopeful that, after a transition
period, a standard platform-provided ES7 promises along the lines of Q
might be good enough that other library needs can be built on it rather
than more directly on the underlying platform. Nevertheless, the
constraints imposed by this transition period remain AFAICT inescapable,
and so the conclusion -- assimilation -- remains the same.

--
    Cheers,
    --MarkM