Re: Futures

On Mon, Apr 22, 2013 at 5:37 AM, David Bruant <bruant.d@gmail.com> wrote:

>  Le 22/04/2013 14:26, Kevin Smith a écrit :
>

>>  Thenable futures are uglier than branded futures, but also the only
>> way to remain compatible with the various libraries that are out there
>> today, which is something many people value.
>>

>  What about using a symbol for the `then` protocol?  Libraries can be
> upgraded to use the symbol as an alias for `then`.  It set up a dependency
> on ES6, of course...
>
> And it doesn't address the compatibility problem people want to address.
> I personally wonder whether the compatibility with existing libraries is
> so important. It should be pretty easy to wrap a native future into a
> library future (aren't native futures already Promise/A+ compatible?) and
> vice versa. Why isn't it enough to help with compatibility with libraries?
>
> Eventually, what will be the point of a promise library if there is native
> support?

This is the great irony. Even if standard platform-provided ES promises win
in the end, there will be a long transition period where there are several
co-existing libraries. In order for standard platform-provided ES promises
to win, it has to thrive in the environment of that co-existence. If it
ever wins definitively, so that there are no remaining libraries of
concern, it will no longer need the assimilation mechanisms that enabled
that co-existence; but by then it will be too late to shed it. I would like
a realistic way out of this dilemma. But after a tremendous number of
messages on the promises/A+ site about exactly this issue (please read or
at least skim), I don't think any of the alternatives are realistic. At <
https://github.com/promises-aplus/promises-spec/issues/94#issuecomment-16244517>
I write:

The original E promise API which inspired all these others has no

--
    Cheers,
    --MarkM