Re: Coordination

From: Brendan Eich <brendan@mozilla.com>
Date: Sat, 13 Apr 2013 11:14:12 -0700
To: Anne van Kesteren <annevk@annevk.nl>
CC: David Bruant <bruant.d@gmail.com>, Alex Russell <slightlyoff@google.com>, es-discuss <es-discuss@mozilla.org>, Robin Berjon <robin@w3.org>, "public-script-coord@w3.org" <public-script-coord@w3.org>, Erik Arvidsson <erik.arvidsson@gmail.com>
Anne van Kesteren wrote:
>> If we want a useful "API idiomacy review" process, this process has to start
>> >  at a time it's still possible to change the API. One solution is for all
>> >  vendors to submit an API to the W3C (or at least public-script-coord)
>> >  *before*  shipping it. I'm doubtful this will ever happen, but I'd be happy
>> >  to read if major browsers representative said here that they're committed to
>> >  never ship before the API has been reviewed for idiomacy.
>
> I'm certainly pushing for this at Mozilla. My impression thus far
> (I've only been here a couple of months) is that we have lacked
> resources for that with Firefox OS and were under severe time
> constraints.

Anney: we *did* submit drafts for all APIs needed for Firefox OS. See
the lists compiled at

http://brendaneich.com/2012/02/mobile-web-api-evolution/ (2012, based on
work starting in fall 2011 well before anything "shipped")

and

https://brendaneich.com/2013/03/mwc-2013-firefox-os-and-more-web-api-evolution/
(2013, and we still haven't "shipped" yet note well)

Were you unaware of this, or did you have in mind other APIs we shipped
that didn't have drafts in progress? There may have been a few around
telephony, this was the proximate cause of the SysApps WG being
chartered, but on the up side these APIs really are only for the dialer
or a few other "system apps", and neither needed nor wanted by other apps.

/be