Re: ES6 Modules

On Apr 8, 2013, at 7:15 AM, David Bruant wrote:

> Le 08/04/2013 15:48, Anne van Kesteren a écrit :
>>> Can you be more specific?
>> I'd need to have specifics first and they're not in the ES6 draft.
> I'll try to start with some point I have in mind, others will complete as necessary.
>
> From what I know, there are 2 parts:
> 1) module syntax [1]
> 2) module loader API [2]
>
> As far as 1) the "import" semantics part might need some attention in relation to URLs and how they are resolved (relative to the JS resource url? document url?). There is probably a need for some module name resolution binding to hook with the Fetch algorithm for cases like:
>    import "http://www.mywebsite.com/myScript.js"
>
> I don't think 2) will affect the platform; it's its own objects with their own semantics.

The browser platform will need to provide a default module loaders. It will be the responsibility of that loader to resolve module name strings as URLs, apply access policies, expose platform built-in modules, etc. The specification of this loader is going to have to be a collaborative effort between the browser and ECMAScript standards communities.

Allen