Re: WindowProxy objects violate ES5 invariants

From: Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@MIT.EDU>
Date: Thu, 13 Dec 2012 13:54:33 -0500
To: "Mark S. Miller" <erights@google.com>
CC: David Bruant <bruant.d@gmail.com>, "public-script-coord@w3.org" <public-script-coord@w3.org>
On 12/13/12 1:43 PM, Mark S. Miller wrote:
>> Note also that there may be some cases in which a WindowProxy will simply
>> stop pointing to any Window completely.  I don't know whether any of these
>> are (yet?) exposed to the web platform...
>
> I'm surprised by this and it sounds important. Could you expand?

One example present in Firefox right now is described at
<http://blog.kylehuey.com/post/21892343371/fixing-the-memory-leak>.  The
summary is that all cross-global references in Gecko are handled via
proxies, and in some instances we will go ahead and change the proxy
handler on those proxies to one that throws on every single property
access (more precisely on every single handler hook call) so that we can
get rid of the object that was being proxied.  Obviously such a proxy
would have to always claim all its properties are configurable to
satisfy the invariants we're describing here or something.