Re: IDL: special DOMString that converts to Unicode

From: Brendan Eich <brendan@mozilla.org>
Date: Tue, 30 Oct 2012 10:35:26 -0700
To: Anne van Kesteren <annevk@annevk.nl>
CC: Allen Wirfs-Brock <allen@wirfs-brock.com>, Jonas Sicking <jonas@sicking.cc>, Simon Pieters <simonp@opera.com>, Robin Berjon <robin@w3.org>, public-script-coord@w3.org
Anne van Kesteren wrote:
> Look, this algorithm is already in Web IDL:
> http://dev.w3.org/2006/webapi/WebIDL/#dfn-obtain-unicode The reason
> I'm asking for an attribute is because I am an API developer and I
> dislike the make work and redundancy of invoking this algorithm all
> over the place.

Agreed, declarative notation in WebIDL is good even for hard cases.

> I did not expect this much Stop Energy over something so simple. It's
> getting kind of insane.

No, you want to add a type. Expect discussion (call the whaambulance
over "stop energy"). WebIDL is a shared good and people have to care
about *not* adding to it, or it'll grow like crazy. (This happens with
JS too, and HTML -- but you know all about that!)

/be