Re: [WebIDL] Would it make sense to add annotations for "creates a new object each time" and "always returns the same object"?

On 10/22/12 9:24 PM, Ojan Vafai wrote:
> Obviously, there's nothing we can do about legacy APIs, so it might
> still make sense to add the annotation even if we decide that methods
> should always return a new object.

Having methods always return a new object is silly, imo.  Consider a
method like getElementById.  How would it make any sense for it to
always return a new object?

The whole problem with methods is that whether they return new objects
or existing objects needs to be carefully considered when defining the
method.  It's obvious in some cases (getElementById, createElement), but
not at all in others....