[webidl] Spec is unclear on what it means to support indexed/named properties

From: Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@MIT.EDU>
Date: Fri, 19 Oct 2012 09:07:46 -0400
To: "public-script-coord@w3.org" <public-script-coord@w3.org>
Specifically, the spec says [1]:

   An interface that defines an indexed property getter, indexed
   property setter, indexed property creator and/or an indexed
   property deleter is said to support indexed properties.

(and similar for named properties).  At first glance, that sounds like
if the interface has any of those four then it supports indexed
properties.  However the definition of platform object
[[GetOwnProperty]] seems to assume that any object that supports indexed
properties has an indexed getter (see step 2.2.1 of [[GetOwnProperty]],
at [2]).  Again, similar for named properties.

Are there any use cases for having creator/setter/deleter _without_ a
getter?  If not, I propose that we define "supports indexed properties"
as "has an indexed getter" and likewise for named properties, and
require that an interface that has a creator, setter, or deleter also
have a getter.

If there _are_ such use cases, the spec needs to be changed to describe
what happens when indexed/named properties are supported but there is no
getter.

-Boris

[1] http://dev.w3.org/2006/webapi/WebIDL/#idl-indexed-properties
[2] http://dev.w3.org/2006/webapi/WebIDL/#getownproperty