Re: "var" declarations shadowing properties from Window.prototype

From: Cameron McCormack <cam@mcc.id.au>
Date: Sat, 06 Oct 2012 09:35:40 +1000
To: "public-script-coord@w3.org" <public-script-coord@w3.org>
CC: Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@mit.edu>, Brendan Eich <brendan@mozilla.com>, Travis Leithead <Travis.Leithead@microsoft.com>
I let this thread languish a bit; sorry.

Before I make the spec changes, I wanted to confirm the plan (again):

* All IDL attributes on Window correspond to own properties on the
window object.  It wasn't clear upon re-reading the thread exactly how
they should behave.  Do they:

    1. remain accessor properties, and setter-less ones for read only
       IDL attributes?
    2. remain accessor properties but gain a setter for read only IDL
       attributes that either swallows and ignores an assignment, or
       makes the property effectively [Replaceable]?
    3. become data properties, non-writable if they are read only
       IDL attributes, with special [[GetOwnProperty]] behaviour to
       implement the property?
    4. become data properties, writable even if they are read only
       IDL attributes, with special [[GetOwnProperty]] and
       [[DefineOwnProperty]] behaviour to implement the property,
       where the defining behaviour is either to swallow and ignore
       an assignment, or to make the property effectively
       [Replaceable]?

* I will leave Window.prototype on the prototype chain, but leave it
empty.  I'll also leave EventTarget.prototype on the prototype chain.

* What was the conclusion on whether properties for IDL operations also
need to move down to be own properties?

Thanks.