Re: "var" declarations shadowing properties from Window.prototype

From: Brendan Eich <brendan@mozilla.com>
Date: Sun, 12 Aug 2012 14:29:59 -0700
To: Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@MIT.EDU>
CC: Brandon Benvie <brandon@brandonbenvie.com>, public-script-coord@w3.org, es-discuss@mozilla.org
Boris Zbarsky wrote:
> Note that data in
> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-script-coord/2012JanMar/0033.html
> suggests that IE also implements the erratum to 5.1 we were talking
> about up-thread.  Oh what a tangled web we weave.

Yes, current thinking is that we should take the erratum that major JS
engines already fixed, and include it in ES6. But this means we must do
something different in WebIDL, probably make own global properties for
window-implements-interface-inherited attributes and even operations.

And then (for strict mode) be careful about get-only accessors. This
reminds me of [Replaceable], which was for non-writable but configurable
data properties that var and function must be able to replace. It's kind
of the opposite and only for accessors:
var-captures-own-accessor-via-detection, or some such.

Just recapping, tell me if I'm missing something.

/be